AAUW Maui Branch has chosen to focus our national fundraising efforts in two areas:
Economic Security and Education/Training.
The National goals in the area of Economic Security are to:
- Achieve pay equity by 2030
- Create inclusive career pathways for women, free of systemic barriers and biases, to attain economic security
- Deepen women’s retirement security and quality of life
The National goals in the area of Education/Training are to:
- Champion equal access to all levels and fields of education
- Ensure education at every level is free from sex discrimination
How To Participate At National Level
AAUW’s policy work connects and rallies advocates at the local, state, national, and global levels to advance our work to empower women and girls. With the member-endorsed Public Policy Program www.aauw.org/resource/principles-and-priorities/ add link as our guide, AAUW uses lobbying and grassroots efforts to push forward policies that break through educational and economic barriers for women.
The AAUW Public Policy and Government Relations Department, with input from the member leaders of the AAUW Public Policy Committee, leads AAUW’s lobbying and grassroots efforts. However, AAUW member advocates across the country who give their time, energy, and voice to AAUW issues deserve the credit for truly advancing women.
To enhance and assist your participation as a member of AAUW, go to the AAUW National Website. Under Resources, Tools and References, select Newsletters and Magazines. There you will see easy sign-ups for:
- AAUW in the Statehouse E-Bulletin – advocacy and updates on state policy across the country,
- AAUW Action Network – methods for getting involved in pending policy issues and for contacting national members of congress and state legislators and local newspapers through the Two-Minute Activist,
- AAUW Mission & Action E-Bulletin – bimonthly updates on latest resources,
- Legal Advocacy Fund E-Bulletin – information related to our work in the courtroom,
- Membership Matters E-Newsletter – resource for recruitment and retention and branch success stories,
- Washington Update E-Bulletin – legislative news, resources for advocacy, programming ideas,
- Equity Express – career tips, gender equity issues.
All members receive the quarterly AAUW Outlook Magazine which offers in-depth coverage of the most pressing issues that women and girls face. Archived issues are listed with the resources above.
Public policy issues are supported by the state organization AAUW Hawaii through meetings with senators and legislators, submitting testimony on bills as they pass through the legislature, writing op eds., supporting like-minded organizations such as the Hawaii Women’s Coalition and by keeping branch members informed of issues. Current focuses are on minimum wage, equal pay and salary transparency, and Title IX.
See also the AAUW National Website for more information about their public policies:.
Additionally visit the AAUW Blog to share national issues.